Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Blogging-where the urbanized, lonely ego seeks refuge.

Hello, this is officially my first blog entry( not counting the couple entries i had on Lifejournal which I don't count as being blog entries anyway, rather, journal entries). Anyhow, I'm not sure why I'm starting this blog, especially now, which happens to be the week I have an essay due, projects to start with and a TREMENDOUS amount of german homework (viele viele Hausaufgaben!), but I am, so this is one of those things which I can't really explain.
Anyhow, I think Ive been spurred on by the whoole hullabaloo over blogging and why ppl blog and the urge to share my thoughts over the whole issue is too great to ignore.

Why do ppl blog? To express their exhibitionist tendencies, to voice out suppressed feelings, to get attention, to feel self-fulfilled, or a tad too many do it to criticise others. I think many of us(i consider myself a blogger now. who cares if its just 1 pathetic entry) do it to catch the ttaention of others, to boost our ego and subconsciously do it to convince ourselves that 'yes, indeed we have a great life'. A life thats worth talking about anyway.

Heck, I think ALL bloggers are doing it for that reason. Yes, I'm no exception. Regardless of the primary intention- (exbitionism, discussion of ideas, expression, etc) admit it, a blog is meant to catch the attention of others. Simultaneously, written with the hope to impress the readers and sustain their attention long enough, so that we manage to convince ourselves that we are living a good life or that we are worthy of envy and attention. Blogging is driven by this/these motive(s).

A tool to salvage that self esteem, a tool to add meaning to an otherwise bleak life (which may not necessarily be so). It is where the urbanized, lonely ego seeks refuge. When I say lonely, i don't mean that you're one of those with little company or friends, but that even with friends and loved ones, there are some things you'd prefer to share with no one in particular, or everyone ( which qualifies as the "no one in particular" criterion since its not addressed to anyone specifically. I keep switching back to "you" as though I'm not guilty of the same. The natural attempt to deny doing something you'd rather not admit.

haha, what a weird first entry. Wouldn't be surprised if many have made a mental note to avoid reading my entries ever again. those who have read this whole entry though, do share your views. I'd be glad to know. And thanks, I know you probably had nothing better to do. :)


"You cram these words into mine ears against
The stomach of my sense."
The Tempest, William Shakespeare

No comments: