Saturday, August 14, 2010

u know, I think no matter what, I am really passionate about my country and my first reaction to anyone's criticisms will be defensive. I think we have a lot to thank for, and that at times we get complacent and a tad too idealistic- forgetting that there was a great price that had to be paid for this success, this peaceful and stable state that we live in. a fren posted an entry on facebook about how she thinks there's so much more for singapore to achieve-(that I don't deny) but the fact that she made some sweeping statements like "our leaders live in a world completely isolated from ours" is to me- a sad sad statement. For 2 reasons really- firstly n more importantly, its the fact that ppl don't and can't truly appreciate the efforts of our leaders. Having worked closely with some of the MPs and ministers has made me realise that they do a great deal, so much more than meets the eyes, so much more than what is being recognised, so much more than what is being perceived. (which is the problem then isn't it? perception is reality to many. and thats what saddens me, cos i think they deserve more credit and criticism can only truly be justified when one can truly examine in totality one's claims n not just state smtg on worldwide social media platforms like facebook without proper justification. ok tbh, I am a wee bit close from fuming mad but emotions aside, I think the greater and underlying issue for our govt. then is marketing. they need to be better able to showcase the efforts and the great pains that they go to to ensure that we sleep well at night, that we can have faith than singapore as a nation won't just function well enough for us to survive but well enough to continue surpassing expectations, well enough to achieve success for the next 45 years of our lives.

sometimes I feel it is this success that has made us complacent, that has made us a tad idealistic without realising and without pausing to truly consider the sacrifices that had to be made to get to where we are. Sigh.

No comments: