Monday, May 14, 2007

Shentonway-Broadway Style
Today marks the start of the 2nd week of my internship.For those who are curious,(though i reckon it really doesn't matter if u know this or not), I'm attached to this place called Vanco. It is a MNC providing network solutions to over 230 countries and territories (phew, all that reading up has paid off). Thought I was pretty doomed at first, considering how its a NETWORK provider (READ:Information Technology(IT)!!!) For those who don't already know, IT and I do not have a mutual understanding. I mean, who gives a hoot bout HTML or web servers and routers.
-makes a mental note to bring this up to IT crazy kai-).
Yeah so u get my drift, I don't like IT or computers. BUT THANK MY LUCKY STARS!! I got an internship in no other firm, BUT an IT one. Life sure has this funny way of tossing the weirdest experiences your way.
But okay, I am exaggerating. The internship has been okay so far. It helps that my colleagues(argh, why do i feel so old?!) are friendly ppl.
Yet, there is this something, the overarching hypocrisy, perhaps of a milder version-a slight amount of pretense, driven by the need to be friendly enough yet to maintain a certain amount of professionalism that really gets to me. Its not like they're the kind who want to stab you in your back the moment you've got it turned or anything like that, its just that there is this distance that everyone prefers to leave alone. That is really something I am apparently not accustomed to and would clearly need more time to get used to.
Its like that even when you come to work, simple things like the bus ride to work take on a whole new meaning when everyone's eye-ing everyone else, trying to spot the who's who perhaps from one's working attire (though commonsense should tell u the big names would obviously DRIVE to work or be driven, not by any public transport driver though.)
Each morning, the clicking of heels forms the rhythm and beat of the day (mind you, these "tap-dancers" aren't exclusively females). Office workers take long quick strides, each ending with a resounding tap of their heels which simultaneously becomes the cue for the next step forward- sometimes scaring me at how synchronised it gets. The whole tap- tap-tap, amplified by the thousands of heels on the hard, glossy floor. Blank expressions portraying thoughtless minds. Minds that have already grown accustomed to the mechanical nature of working life.
It is highly, no, grossly perturbing. It fills me with dread thinking if I'd suffer the same fate once I graduate.
They say you've made it big if you land yourself a job in Shentonway, I say its no easy life handling the dual role-play in Shentonway. That of the office worker and the actor-Shentonway Broadway style.

No comments: