Wednesday, May 2, 2007

you know you're getting old when...
people your age are getting married. Which is why, I for one, feel ancient.

My cousin who's (*hold the edge of your seat and hold your breath while you're at it*) 19, yes NINETEEN this year, got married today! aiyoooo.. here i am, her soon-to-be 20 year old cousin, left feeling like an old spinster. AND, another close friend of mine, Kalam is getting hitched next year as well.He's 23 next year by the way. His girlfriend, or rather fiancee wants their wedding to be celebrated in a grand manner- at Orchid Country Club. Fuyooo~ but its understandable la, its not like its an everyday or even an annual affair,but a once in a lifetime thing. Besides she's young, its obvious she would want her night as a Queen to be a grand, majestic one.

Anyway, I'm still reeling from all the excitement I had today at the ROMM(Registry of Muslim Marriages). This was the first time ever I got to witness the 'nikah' ceremony. ('Nikah'=the wedding solemnization proceedings done in accordance with the Islamic laws) Usually I'd just get to attend the wedding ceremony and celebrations after the 'nikah' when food is provided, which for the information of the non-muslims, is really done for formality's sake. The real wedding is over the moment the guy takes the oath in front of the Uztaz, or more commonly known as the 'Tok Kadi' to promise to take good care of his wife. This is also the time when the Tok Kadi informs and reminds the soon to be wed couple of their responsibilites as man and wife and how they should constantly put their heart and soul into making their marriage work. This is done in front of 3 witnesses.

There we were squeezed in a tiny room -the office of the 'Tok Kadi' at ROMM(check out the photos!), and I swear that this whole brief solemnization process, was indeed a solemn and emotional one(for me atleast). This was especially so when the groom had to promise to take good care of his wife, and when he had to repeat the words of the Tok Kadi which acknowledged the fact that should he fail to provide (financially) for his wife for 4 months, or hurt her in any way, be it physically or emotionally or to humiliate her in any way, he would, at that point be deprived of his rights as a husband and their marriage will at that point be annulled. If I didnt control myself, I would have teared upon hearing those words. They were just so moving, reminding me of what a beautiful religion Islam is. One that seeks above all, to protect the rights of women.

All this marriage talk makes me feel like getting married this instant. Hahaha. I lack the most important factor though, a potential husband. My ideal wedding will be one where I don't only get to celebrate my love for my husband, but allow all other couples to celebrate theirs. It'd be a night to celebrate love and rejoice in the fact that we're amongst those who are fortunate enough to love and be loved. =) man, when will it be my turn?

May God bless this married couple with lifetime happiness! Amin~=)

No comments: