Sunday, August 26, 2007

humble beginnings, sweet endings

Updates: Welcome tea on Friday 24th Aug was a success. :) Atleast 35 people came, and considering this is the first time the NUS Aerobics subclub is having a welcome tea in its gazillion years of existence, I'm okay with the results). Nevermind the fact that we spent way too much, and that there was too much food leftover- the outcome of ordering too much food that was bound to be untouched especially after an hour of Cardioaerobics session. Hahaha, so we ( the comm members and many of those who came for the welcome tea) ta pao-ed all the food left, which was alot by the way. I got to bring home a huge tray of food, which thankfully wasn't such a hassle, thanks to my all time faithful chauffeur. ;) Come, let the photos do the talking.




From top to bottom : i) The aerobics welcome tea participants in action! ii) The focus for this pic is really the drinks. iii) 4 of my comm members(sze kwan,fang yin, me and huey yie) in an extremely sheepish pose. The other 10 are missing. iv) This was Sze Kwan's idea for us to look dao, and we had it nailed too, except fang yin HAD to smile. :)


You know, I have a good feeling about my comm members, I really like them. Hopefully we can all click as a team and see the club to greater, better things. :) And yes ah, finally the welcome tea is over, you'd be surprised by the amount of work, coordination and planning that goes into small things like welcome teas, man. Next time you attend small events like this, don't ever underestimate the amount of effort that has gone into it, and be appreciative.


I got my ride to the Tan Tock Seng hospital to visit my grandpa, armed with that whole tray of leftover catered food. It was good to see my grandpa, grandma and aunt there after what seemed like a long day at school. There's something unspoken but nonetheless a very special feeling when returning to a place with family members after a tiring day, its a simple kinda feeling yet unmatched in terms of the sense of belonging and contentment it evokes. Sadly though, grandpa wasn't looking too good, though I lied and told him the reverse, just so he can stay strong mentally. My aunt informed me that he has already started the intake of morphine and has started throwing up ( one of the side effects of that drug). :(


I love this pic. :) .

my pretty aunt

The many many bouquets for my incredible grandfather.

An hour or so after I arrived at TTSH, an old time family friend dropped by to visit my grandpa. He's one classic example of those rags to riches success stories- from the penniless Pakistani immigrant that he was 22 years ago to the present millionaire owner of the Jalan Kayu Eatery and many other eateries around Singapore and the world. Talking to him was insightful for he confided in me the importance of staying true to your dreams, and having the will to persevere and to have faith even when all the odds are against you. Inspirational words from a inspirational man.

Yet, I had the feel that he was a more melancholic, jaded man in comparison to the highly-spirited, energetic man I had known years ago at the age of 5. He confided in us his sadness and regret over the fact that many people in this world today no longer seem to appreciate the value of the heart but instead, are more drawn to riches and wealth, foregoing what he feels is most important- unadulterated love and compassion, the type that's free of the influece of greed and malice. I couldn't help but share a partof his sorrows, for I can tell how many a times many just choose to ride on the suuccess of the wealthy and successful ones, for their own selfish and personal gains. And many a times, this becomes so much more apparent when you're rich.

Money, what a boon and a bane it can both be. But if anything, meeting up with the wealthy ones like him has certainly reminded me of how overrated money really is, and that as cliche as this saying goes, "money really cannot buy happiness". On our way home, he offered to sponsor my studies to the US, which is an offer I'd only be too thrilled to take, but won't because I'd be greatly indebted. When we reached home, he took out this whole thick wad of $50 bills, and handed me two. Money, money money, oh and I just got the $1500 bursary today, so yeay. :)

Today(sat), after the bursary awards, I made my way to dayah's new place for her open house. Liza n bf, mairah, wany, dayah n lulu were there ( fahna had to leave early). We had planned a small get-together cum a farewell gathering for Lulu before she leaves for her exchange program to UCLA for the rest of this sem come 7th Sept. We watched this indonesian movie, ate, talked, laughed, took photos and hugged. Alright, let the photos do the talking.






Okay la, goodnight. :)

No comments: