Monday, September 17, 2007

What Shampoo did Jesus use?
Rejoice!! :)
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to update. Fulfilling my obligation to tell the world the bits of my life? Taking time to take stock of all that happened? Or just to fill the boredom. I think its all of these really. If I don't update for so long, it feels odd, like something left undone that I have to get done else this horrible egging feeling won't cease to bother me. Yet, I can't help but concede that I love blogging, and that it really shouldn't matter who reads my blog, or what they think of it, or why I'm even doing this, because if anything, I'm having fun, and God knows how much I need these little breaks, to tear myself away from the hectic life that is mine right now. Okay, so what was it I wanted to talk about?

Oh yes, we have a new maid now, ok correction, a new domestic helper (doesn't maid sound a tad too derogatory?), to help out with my grandpa. Oh and that's another piece of news, my grandpa is finally home after the 3 long months at the hospital. He looks really frail and even thinner from the last time I saw him. Its like, everytime I see him, there's something about him that looks different, and its not something I can put my finger on, but its still there, and the change is always quite drastic, making him look unfamiliar at times too. IF anything though, I am absolutely glad that he's home and close to us, for it makes it a lot more bearable emotionally and less tiring since the journey from clementi to tan tock seng isn't exactly the most convenient trip, especially not for someone with a 5 day week timetable.
We've gotten him a new sofa bed from Ikea, and tried sprucing up his part of the room(for which my aunt takes sole credit for) and things are quite good now, and this is the best I've felt with regards to my grandpa's condition since that fateful day when we learnt of his condition. So, ALhamdulillah, I am grateful to Allah for giving us time to prepare ourselves mentally and emotionally, and for this priceless time that has allowed us all spend a bit more time with him, to let him know how much we love him.

Oh, this domestic helper that we've got, her name's Ellie, not sure how its spelled though, but its supposed to be pronounced that way <"Ell-ly"> so I suppose that should be right. She's quite nice, rather quiet though and at times I miss this other domestic helper we had for four days, Wiwie who was alot like a big sister. She was definitely more chatty and it felt good having an elder sister, even if it was for a few days. Anyway Wiwie had to leave(something about her Visa), hence the arrival of Ellie. You know when I think about people like Ellie and Wiwie who are in their early 20s if not below 20,I am humbled by the blessing that Allah has bestowed upon me, so that I am part of a realatively well to do family in a relatively prosperous part of the world, both of which have pretty much secured my future for me. Imagine on the contrary, if you had been born into a poor family in an even poorer country, what little choice would you have but to go seek for wealth in the lands of those who are more fnancially equipped, as domestic helpers, or as odd job labourers where strenuous labour if not sexual services are offered as a compensation for the lack of education. It is a pity really, for what fault is it of theirs for them to have been 'assigned' such a fate? Or what choice do they have other than to toil hard in the lands where proper respect is only reserved for the wealthy, just so they can earn that extra cash?

I know Allah is fair though, for although we may be better off in many ways (financially being the most obvious), that doesn't make us any more privileged or blessed than those who don't. For when you have very little of something, that doesn't by default make you unhappy. On the contrary, I think it is often those who have relatively little in life who tend to treasure the small little things that they have, making them a lot more happier than those who can't be as appreciative especially since they have everything and have always had everything.
Its like a trade-off between happiness and wealth, which of course isn't always the case, I mean of course, there are those who are both wealthy and very much happy, and those at the other end of the spectrum, who are poor and embittered.

No matter where you are on that wealth spectrum, bear in mind that you've got a choice on where you stand on the happiness spectrum, for it really doesn't take much to be happy, especially not for those who try. Just look around you and I can guarantee that the very first thing your eyes catch hold of, will be symbolic of atleast a dozen other things you should rejoice for. :)

No comments: