Monday, July 2, 2007

Misunderstood
I'm often amazed by the extent to which people and their actions can be misunderstood and misintepreted. A simple act of goodwill for instance (like praising someone) can be misjudged and misintepreted as an act of boot-licking, or questions driven out of true care and concern may be deemed as busy-bodiness. In fact, lately, it seems like so many of us have been infected by the cynical SUPERbug, leading us to choose the worst possible motive as the motivation for one's actions, when many a times, the truth is that these actions and words were driven by no other ulterior motive other than that embodying genuine goodwill. It has come to a point where compliments occasionally fall under the Taboo section of what-not-to-say.
I was listening to the radio sometime back about how nowadays, one of the biggest Taboos, (according to quite a reliable survey), is that Men often hold themselves back from complimenting a female colleague, because most of the times, it is miscontrued immediately as having a hidden lets-get-into-bed agenda. I was thinking to myself how wrong those DJs and surveyors must be, because women cannot be so shallow-minded, BEFORE umpteen of women listeners (SADLY) expressed their agreement. I find this rather discomforting. Sure, there may be perverts around whose clandestine fantasies may involve taking you to bed, but let's not jump to conclusions all the time, shall we? I'd still like to believe that we women are really not that narrow minded, and that it just so happened that most of the female listeners tuned in that morning, were really the exception.
Or, perhaps, they had had really bad past experiences to make them eye every compliment laid their way suspiciously. There is more to it, I'm sure and (would like to believe). But, again, like many other phenomenas, it starts with the self. How it is really up to you, what you want to think, what you want to make out of one's words and actions and how you're going to go about with your words and actions. I have often been pressured to hold back and limit my words and actions to conform to the expectations of others' or simply to avoid being misunderstood. But, I know that what others' think shouldn't really get to me, because if I'm genuine and I'm certain of what I'm doing, what others may feel is really unimportant.
Its not all that easy though is it? Its like claiming your view is right even if the whole world thinks otherwise. The strength in numbers. Like how now, it seems like everyone is out to view everyone else's actions and words in the negative light, and how I'm the one of the few ones who don't ( I hope not).
I'm still trying to overcome that insecurity of being "misunderstood" everytime I praise someone or everytime I do something that is at risk of being misunderstood. Today onwards , I vow to be more forthcoming with my views, with my words, my compliments and I will try my best to shed away this insecurity of being misunderstood because only then will I be completely truthful with myself. And, if you're anything like me, let's do this together. Free yourself of these inhibitions that the others have imposed on you, let's just be honest and say it like we feel it is.
Okay, I would feel completely liberated already, if not for the tight XS corset I have on, that doesn't seem to want to stop squeezing the dear life out of me, not until I become a size XS for life, maybe. :)

No comments: